- You will experience greater life satisfaction—you will feel happier and more satisfied with your life.
- You will have more energy and focus to be successful at what you do.
- You will feel mentally stronger to manage life’s challenges.
Live with purpose.
- Living with a strong sense of purpose makes you less likely to develop heart disease, stress and depression.
- Think about how all the ways that being a truck driver helps your family or the wider community by delivering goods that people need.
Schedule time for healthy activities each day to physically and mentally recharge your body and brain to improve your focus and productivity.
- Schedule something that brings you joy, for example, listen to music, or read.
- Schedule time for learning something new. It can be something as small as learning a new word.
- Schedule time for exercise or physical activity. Try to walk wherever and whenever you can. You could also try some of the exercises suggested at Health in Gear’s Move Well.
- Schedule a few minutes each day to do nothing. This isn’t a waste of time, a few minutes allows your muscles to let go, your mind to be still and will improve your energy, focus, productivity, and problem solving.
Reframe your thinking.
- Choose to look at a past event and purposefully look at it differently.
- Accept problems and reframe them as challenges.
- Learn from your mistakes. Mistakes are good at teaching you what not to do in the future.
- Forgive yourself and others for things that have happened in the past.
- Gratitude is when you purposely think about something you are thankful for.
- Science shows that focusing on being thankful stops thoughts that are stressful and thoughts that make you worry.
- When you focus on the good things in your life you will give less power to negative emotions and feel more positive.
- Take 5 minutes each day (either first thing in the morning or just before bed) to write down 3 things that you are grateful for or glad you experienced. You can be grateful for the smallest things, such as your morning coffee, the sunshine, or a meal that you cooked and enjoyed.
- Being on the road is a great opportunity to take photos of things in your everyday life that make you smile. You could share these with your family or friends.
- Take time to tell your friends or partner the reasons why you appreciate them. This will help you and them feel instantly closer.
Develop a long-term vision (a long-term goal).
- Write a goal that you would like to achieve in the next 12 months. Write down the steps you’ll need to take to achieve the goal. Make the steps as small as you can.
Help someone else.
- Science shows we are often happiest when we do something for someone else.
The information provided by Health in Gear (OzHelp Foundation Ltd) is general information only and does not take into consideration your own personal circumstances. Before acting upon any information provided, please consider if the information is suitable to meet your own objectives and seek health advice specific to your needs, if appropriate.
Accordingly, Health in Gear (OzHelp Foundation Limited) and its employees and agents shall have no liability (including without limitation liability by reason of negligence) to any users of the information provided for any loss or damage (consequential or otherwise), cost or expense incurred or arising by reason of any person using or relying on the information and whether caused by reason of any error, negligent act, omission or misrepresentation in the information.