Prepare to Eat Well
Why it matters
When you’re on the road and regularly eating away from home there are small actions you can take to prepare for keeping your body and brain well nourished.
- Good nutrition improves your wellness and gives you energy.
- At least five portions of different coloured vegetables will give your body the vitamins and minerals it needs to be well.
- Good nutrition can reverse health problems and help you avoid conditions like type 2 diabetes, obesity and depression.
What should I do?
- Eat nutritious food at regular times – schedule it.
- Plan to eat mostly from your fridge or 12-volt oven.
- Plan your portion size.
How should I do it?
Eat nutritious food at regular times – schedule it.
- Plan your food for the whole day and plan to eat most of your food earlier in the day.
- Plan to eat all your food within a 12-hour window. Your body needs the other 12 hours every 24 to finish processing the food you eat. Your body sleeps better when your stomach is not full.
- Schedule what you will eat and at what time. Set reminders on your phone.
Plan to eat mostly from your fridge or 12-volt oven.
- Place your fridge within easy reach.
- Many drivers take frozen meals from home and place the meal in their 12-volt oven two hours before a scheduled meal stop.
Plan your portion size.
- Many drivers use collapsible silicon tubs or plastic tubs to divide daily food into small portions to eat at meal times or as snacks.
- TIP: The National Heart Foundation of Australia recipes tell you the number of portions that you can get from each recipe they have listed.